image credit: www.joiseyshowaa.com

Friday, January 1, 2010

A Can Do Attitude

The words "can do" are in the present tense. I am in THIS moment, today, right now, and I CAN DO what is right for my body and for my mind and for my life!

First things first: A proper perspective. I am a woman of faith and I give this journey to God. My purpose - the reason I'm here - is to glorify God. I am going to glorify God in my body. "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all unto the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31 Is it God's will for me to be skinny? No. It IS God's will that I take care of my body - after all He created it - and if I eat the right foods and exercise it like I should it will glorify Him. If the pounds fall off in the process, then Hallelujah! I believe when I glorify Him in my life then the victory - a healthy body, mind, and life - will come from Him. "But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." - 1 Corinthians 15:57

This is going to be a journey that will require many changes because I, and my family, have developed many bad eating habits and daily living habits. To change my behavior I must change my way of thinking. And to change my thinking, I have to change the many wrong beliefs about myself, God, and even others. The Bible tells me that Jesus makes me free. He will show me the root causes of my bad eating habits and not only will He show me the problem(s), He will show me the answer to them! I know that the love Jesus has for me will never change because His love is not based on me or my performance, but solely based on His character, which NEVER, ever changes. The best way to change my way of thinking is to not "try" to think differently, but rather to first change the way I believe. When my beliefs change, then so can my thoughts.

Remember the super hero the Incredible Hulk? Whenever his alter ego, Bruce Banner, became angry a metamorphosis occurred and he went from being calm, cool, and collected to a raging monster because he struggled to handle adversity. Anger was a trigger that changed this calm man into the form of a monster. That, obviously, was a negative and dangerous transformation.

However, there was another super hero that was mild mannered. Can you guess? Clark Kent. Clark Kent never broke a sweat when faced with adversity. How could he stay so calm and collected no matter what threat he faced? It was because he had a power living within him that he knew gave him supernatural abilities. Even during difficult times he was able to transform into a dependable person in times of trouble. Well, that is the transformation I need!! I have the power already living inside of me that will help me through the challenges of making changes and sticking to them. I have the power to help me say that no matter what is going on, no matter how difficult the day may be, that I am content and I can praise God that I am on the winning side. Philippians 4:12,13 - "I know how to be abased (humble), and I know how to abound (to be plentiful): everywhere and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." This passage says that it is not by MY power, it is not by MY strength, but it is by the power of the Almighty that will lift me up when I'm feeling discouraged and sorry for myself. So, not only can I say "I can" but that "I can do all things." Someone once told me that all means all and that's all that it means. It's true. This journey I'm on is very much a part of the "all" in Phil. 4:13!

So how does this apply to my eating and living? Well...I am guilty of eating when I'm not hungry and eating more than I should. I reach for crunchy snacks when I'm stressed and, most times, coffee as well. I think those are outlets for my stress. I don't really NEED to eat - I'm not hungry, but I AM reaching for those foods when I'm feeling stressed. It's called emotional eating. So instead of reaching for a snack when I'm stressed, I need to stop and ask myself what is going on, realize that I'm stressed, and instead of eating - pray and ask God for help to get rid of the urge to snack. Then jump on the exercise bike or run up and down the stairs a few times. I need to ask myself every time I get ready to eat something, is this really the best for me? Am I glorifying God? (meaning am I eating the wrong foods or drink?)

Does God want me to succeed and have victory? Yes! I CAN do this and I CAN do it better and gain victory with God on my side! I believe YOU CAN, too!

Today is the first day of the rest of my healthy life! Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment