image credit: www.joiseyshowaa.com

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Full Steam Ahead! The Vision

Someone once said, "You can't get to the future without being present." How true! But, how do you get to the future? By having a vision. Remember the IT3? Impact Today, Imagine Tomorrow, Inspire Transformation. Imagine Tomorrow is the vision. What vision do I have for tomorrow? Do I have one? I'm sure I do.

My vision for transformation began when I took a long, hard look in the mirror at myself personally, and as a mother, and as a wife, and gained an honest view of where I was at and what I wanted to do about those areas. Healthy living, in my book, impacts all of these areas of myself and not only will I benefit, but my husband and family will too. The important part of having a vision was to be honest about the current realities. In fact, an honest assessment of the present is as important as a vision of the future. So, I assessed myself yesterday with a measuring tape. Can't get any more honest with that!! When I saw my waist, hip, and thigh measurements I almost fainted. Knowing where I used to be and where I saw myself at now was just amazing to me. I mean, I knew...but now I KNOW!!

I have a vision for myself spiritually. In my "Can Do Attitude" post on New Year's Day, I'm making priority #1 God and giving this whole journey of healthy living to Him. Every morning is a spiritual assessment of where I'm at in all areas of my life: individually, wife, mother. Daily exercise in this area will build my spiritual muscles.

I have a vision for myself physically. By eating eating right and exercising I will have a healthy body. Pretty simple plan to follow, huh? Following this plan daily will build a healthy, and happy, body!

So, in order to fully achieve my vision for the future I must do an honest and accurate assessment of my current situation (the present). When focus is on the future without also looking at the present, my vision will not come to be. What happens when focus is on the present without a vision for the future? When focus is on things that are wrong in the present, then I become stuck in the present and all I do is complain or react. With this viewpoint, I am unable to be proactive and create my desired future. I, most likely, will give up. Does this sound like you, too? Holding the present without vision is like being stuck in the mud. So...don't do that!

Vision isn't just about the future. It's about the present. Moment by moment. The here and now. Learn from the past, plan for the future, and live in the present. In other words: Live your vision now.

Wow! Okay, so...if we are clear about our vision, and if we are honest about our present realities, we don't have to figure everything out. Things start happening on their own! I have figured out this much though: My vision needs to be about the quality of the life I want to live and not about the specifics. I read this recently from a woman who is a motivational speaker, "I've noticed people with similar goals/visions get attached to the specific goals as though they not only represented the vision but were the vision. And this confused them." Hmmmm....think about that for awhile.

So I ask myself (and you too): Is my present reality moving toward my vision? What am I doing to Impact Today?

No comments:

Post a Comment