image credit: www.joiseyshowaa.com

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Right Fit

I was on a mission today - to get my running shoes. Mission accomplished thanks to Runner's Retreat in Winchester, VA. Runner's Retreat is a running specialty store that caters to those who have been around the block a few times or are just putting foot to pavement (like me). I knew that if I was going to be running I needed a good pair of running shoes and I went to the people who know their stuff. I didn't want to start out and be discouraged over knee problems, shin splints, or foot pain.

I walked into their store in Old Town Winchester and was greeted by Mike Stickley, owner of the store. We got right to work. I told him my mission to begin running and that I was doing the Couch-to-5K program. He knew exactly what I was talking about. (Is everybody in Winchester on this?) Then came the hard part. He told me to take off my shoes so he could look at my feet. EEK!! I am so embarrassed by my feet - I have flat feet and little bunions. I was thinking, 'Oh great! He's gonna say I shouldn't be running.' But no. He just started out with telling me what type of shoe I would need to help my feet. Once we got a pair on we went outside and he taped me running in the shoes. More intimidation! We went back inside, hooked up the video watched my running pattern. After discussing my gait and my ankles wanting to turn in some, we tried on a few more pairs of shoes. Let me tell you, I really felt like Cinderella's step-sisters trying to find the right shoe. But then - go figure - he comes out with....drumroll...a MEN'S shoe. That, my friends, was the winner! HA!! The Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11.



As we were checking out, my husband - the witty man that he is - says to Mike, "So why isn't your store called Runner's Advance?" (ba-dum-dum-ching) Poor Mike.

Mike knows his stuff! I thought I was going to "stump" him, but he was on the same mission I was...to get me some cool running shoes! He must see some potential in me since he told me about his race on Memorial Day, The Loudoun Street Mile, to benefit our local women's shelter. Can I run a mile in 4 weeks? Let's do it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment