image credit: www.joiseyshowaa.com

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Breathe...Breathe...Br - ACK!

No. That's not a typo. That's the sound of a new runner experiencing what it's like to go from her neighborhood where there are hardly any trees to a footpath that runs alongside the woods...and gagging on a bug!! I think it was a gnat. Gross. But I kept running!! I did not stop...and I did not throw up!

I am on week 3 of the C25K program and, I must say, it's not going bad at all! I feel stronger. I can run upright and not all hunched over, if that makes any sense. I feel confident. I like that. And...my gadget husband found some things to load me up with for my runs. He found an arm band that holds my iPod Touch. It fits snugly on my arm and my iPod hasn't fallen out yet! I wear it so the pocket is on the back side of my arm and I thread my ear buds through my shirt sleeve to my neck so that I don't have cords flopping all over while I run. It's so nice not having to hold on to that thing while running!

Gadget-Man also bought me a heart monitor to wear. I don't have heart problems, but wearing the heart monitor allows me to check my heart rate while running/exercising and to make sure I stay in my target zone. It came with a "watch" to wear and I can save the data from each run: calories burned, % of fat burned, how long I was out, and what my HI/LO heart rates were. Very handy, I must say, to be able to check your heart rate while exercising and compare how you did from last time. I was quite surprised to see that there were times that I went below my target zone while doing the program. What?? Then there were times that I was sure I was going over my target zone and I was only in the middle. I guess I need to work a little harder to stay in my target zone in between each run. I guess I can handle running after all...

...except for the bugs. ACK!

No comments:

Post a Comment