image credit: www.joiseyshowaa.com

Sunday, May 8, 2011

The First Step



Running. Can I call it running if I'm not really running the whole time I'm out there? I was telling a friend yesterday that I went on my first run...but...I didn't really run. I mean, I did run...8 times...but in 60 second intervals with 90 seconds of walking in between. So what do I tell others that I'm doing - that I went on my first fun-walk this week.

Day 1 of the Couch-to-5K program wasn't too bad. I had my C25K iPod app and I downloaded some running music. That was the fun stuff. The other stuff was not so fun - I mean, I felt so awkward running. Am I doing this right? Is my form right? What is all that jiggling back there? Plus, it was hot outside. We had a warm day and when I got out to run, it was close to lunch time. When I got back, I was miserable and my kids thought I was going to pass out.

Day 1 recovery was awful! I felt like I got hit by a truck my body hurt so bad. I just kept stretching everything and I paid a visit to my chiropractor to talk about running. He gave me some ways to rub out the "kinks" in my muscles after I run and we're going to keep an eye on how my hips are handling the running. I may need to schedule a massage. I like being able to tell my husband that I need a massage!!

Day 2 of running was awful. I went earlier in the morning to avoid the heat - which worked out fine - but now I think I may have gone too early. I felt so heavy! My feet were even scraping the pavement at times, especially up-hill. Will I ever feel "lighter?"

The good news is that day 2 recovery is better! I don't feel like I've been hit by a truck. Only my lower back is a little tight and my inner thighs are sore. Tomorrow (Monday) is day 3 of running. If you're a runner, what was it like when you first started running? Did you feel heavy, awkward, uncoordinated? Please tell me it gets better!

No comments:

Post a Comment