image credit: www.joiseyshowaa.com

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Taking the First Step - Literally!

OK. I told y'all that I am NOT a runner...but...I'm not really a walker either. I mean, when it comes to exercise, I'd rather be in a gym or in a pool. (Again I ask...what..am..I..doing?) So....I walked my first mile on Monday and I walked my second mile yesterday. This is not part of the Couch-to-5K running program. This is just me - the lovely couch potato - getting out and pounding the pavement. Literally! Taking the first steps to getting moving...and let me tell you I am GLAD that I'm doing this before I start the program next week. My legs are already feeling the burn. Didn't realize I was THAT out of shape!

My wonderful, in-the-know, tech-savvy husband found the Couch-to-5K running program available as an App for my iPod Touch. (As he says, "There's an App for that.") We are testing it out while I'm typing this. This is pretty cool. It has all the workouts laid out and the running segments timed for you so all you have to do is select which segment you're doing and go! It also gives you vocal prompts in a lovely British accent to encourage you and let you know how much time you have left. While you're using it, you can listen to your favorite music and still be able to hear the cues to start running or start walking. It's really very simple. I'm excited that I don't have to take my stopwatch with me and try to keep up with how many minutes to jog and when to go back to walking.



Today I'm walking another mile. My neighborhood is laid out quite well for walking. I start out walking downhill for turns 1 & 2 then level out on the back side until turn 3. On the home-stretch, and through turn 4, it's a slow incline all the way back to my house. I go around twice and that's a mile. I'll check it with my pedometer today to be sure.

Let's do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment